Wednesday, July 4, 2007

The Seed Of Our Founding Fathers

With the gift of a land and a nation comes responsibility to the my Creator.
As a Christian, I am seriously impelled by the vision of our nation's founders to seek liberty, peace and justice for all -- a task that is never complete.
Let me cultivate for the final havest the seed our founders sowed.

Free me to flow your way, my Creator!
Where complacency darkens
my vision of your will for me:
Where greed for personal gain dims
my commitment to the welfare of all people:
Where the failure of faith discourages
me from pursuing your goals for me:

Freedin is not an achievement but a gift.
Freedom is not license but radical obedience to God's liberating law of love.
Let me give thanks for the gifts of freedom we have received and, trusting in God as did our nation's founders, let me seek to share them as gifts with all who are still enslaved by political oppression, social or economic injustice, or personal sin.

Free your people, Lord!
For all those who hold others under
the yoke of polictical oppression and violence:

-- grant them conversion of heart.
For all those who serve themselves
at the cost of social or economic injustice toward others:

-- grant them conversion of heart.
For all those who are enslaved by habits of sin:
-- grant them conversion of heat.

May the God of peace we with us all. Amen.

No comments: