Monday, May 21, 2007

On The Journey Towards Acceptance

From The Henri Nouwen Society

On the Journey Towards Acceptance

written by PHIL NAZAR

"Preach the Gospel at all times,
sometimes even with words."

- Francis of Assisi

I bike a lot in downtown Toronto. Biking is, by nature, a solitary activity, though in the midst of much activity. For the most part biking is also wordless. This, I'm sure, is part of the attraction for me. Aside from the occasional epithet tossed at wayward car and truck drivers, I say nothing on my two-wheeled sojourns. I watch, listen and prepare for or ruminate on the events of the day.
It was in this state of mind that I rode from work to Word on the Street, Toronto's annual festival celebrating the written word. I was pretty weary after my workday and was looking forward to being in the midst of the celebration but not having to engage anyone. But as I locked my bike to a fence, I heard heart-wrenching sobbing. It was a young boy who had lost his mother. I was at a loss as to what to do, but we began to walk slowly, scanning the crowded street.
Very soon he saw his mother. They hugged, the mother's look changing from tearful terror to tearful relief. I wanted to say something to her, but her world had collapsed into this hug. I knew that any words I could say were unnecessary, so I walked away. Part of me was a little desirous of some of her time and emotion. Part of me was jealous of this all-encompassing embrace. And part of me knew that, in these few minutes of each of our lives, there was nothing but humanity in its awful vulnerability - and its awesome beauty.

PHIL NAZAR - is a former Jesuit and now married has lived in a number of intentional communities, including L'Arche. He is presently a Community Development Worker and Pastoral Minister at the Toronto Christian Resource Centre, located in Regent Park, a large public housing complex in Toronto. He is also the Chair of the Board of the Daily Bread Food Bank.

No comments: