Thursday, February 3, 2011

Attitudes and Limitations




"My greatest limitations," a member said, "are in my mind. Until I came to this group, I wasn't even aware that many of the negative circumstances in my life were the direct result of my distorted attitudes.

"I brought myself a lot of unnecessary misery by thinking it was my responsibility to manage and direct other people's lives.
I believed it was solely up to me to make everyone else happy and secure.
So I continually placed everyone else's needs first until I didn't know who I was or what I needed for my own happiness and comfort.
It's exhausting and insane to try to second-guess everyone.
Not only that, it doesn't give me or anyone else credit for being able to think, feel, or act for himself."

Today I will not manage or direct other people's lives, nor will I expect any other human being to fill my inner emptiness.
I have the dignity, resources, and responsibility to fulfill my own life just as others have theirs.
I will find my own sources of comfort, joy, and peace no matter what others do with their lives and free choices.
-- From The Reflecting Pond by Liane Cordes



We cannot change the directions of the wind, but we can adjust our sails.
Have a beautiful day unless you plan otherwise. ... B-)

No comments: