Wednesday, April 16, 2008

On the Journey Towards Living Nonviolently

From Henri Nouwen Society -- Weekly Reflection

On the Journey Towards Living Nonviolently

written by DANIEL CHO

As a child I became deeply involved in the martial arts after watching the revolutionary 1973 film Enter the Dragon, starring Bruce Lee.
In fact, my first few years of training took place in the basement of our church, and I loved every minute of it.
Some called me obsessed with the martial arts; I couldn't disagree.

When, as a teenager, I began to get serious about the Christian faith, I had an opportunity to become a bit philosophical about reconciling a commitment to love, peace and "turning the other cheek" with an activity involving fighting and violence.
Of course, violence describes both our inner fancies and the pernicious aggression against others.

I have found that my experience in martial arts never steered me towards violence; rather it led me to realize that the more I was willing to be in touch with my own violence - its emotional energy, causes, insecurities - the more I was able to "tame" both its interior experience and its expression.
Violence's familiarity can breed its discipline and lead to a reclaiming of that dimension of one's spirit and character.

For me, the point of resonance with Jesus' temptations is that he faced the destructive potential of his power, yet learned to claim it for God.
Likewise, every day I face potential for violence in word, behaviour, design and thought, yet I can learn to claim it for more authentic spiritual living.

I'm still an unapologetic martial arts film fanatic.

- DANIEL CHO is minister of Rexdale Presbyterian Church in Toronto and serves the national church as convener of the Life & Mission Agency. His martial arts training includes hapkido and aikido, and he holds a black belt in tae kwon do.

No comments: