Monday, April 14, 2008

The Good Shephard

Michael was about three and a half when he entered our Montessori school.
He had big blue eyes, a wonderful smile and a likeable personality.
He was already familiar with the school and the teacher since his older brother had attend it and Michael often accompanied him to school, and sometimes stayed to visit. . .

Michael's into the school was anything but smooth.
In fact, it was really stormy.
He was fine while his mother was at school during orientation, but as soon as Michael was expected to be in school on his own he has real problems.
He cried every day. . .

I recalled the Good Shepherd parable.
Was it too early to tell Michael?
Certainly three-year-olds don't recognize that they are the sheep.
But then, what did I have to lose?
I decided to present the parable and material to him.

The next day I told Michael I had something special I wanted to show him.
I took him all alone to one corner of the room and made the presentation to him.
It was unbelievable to see how involved Michael beccame and, much to my utter dismay, I realized Michael recognized that he was a sheep.
It was nothing I had done.

That day Michael did not cry at all.
It seemed like I was witnessing a miracle.
We were out in the playground when Michael's mother arrived to take him home.
I signaled to her that it had been a good day while Michael ran to his mother saying, "Mommy, Mommy! I didn't cry today!"
His mother looked at me questioningly and I just nodded my head to tell her Michael was telling the truth.

When Michael got in the car he said to his mother, "Well aren't you going to ask me why I didn't cry?"
She was a really good mother and knew children, and said, "Well Michael, if you want to tell me, yes I'd like to know."
(She later told me that she was dying to know why, but was almost afraid to ask.)
Michael then replied, "I don't ever have to be afraid agan, because I have the Good Shepherd to take care of me."
An excerpt from The Good Shepherd & The Child, A Joyful Journey

~~~@@~~~@@~~~@@~~~@@~~~

Life could not exist in the primal waters of chaos.

My Good Shepherd leads me to the water of life to drink my fill of his peace.

He leads me into the sheepfold, not to imprison me within walls of law but to set me free from captivity to the fear of all those predators, seen and unseen, who threaten me with the distress, darkness, and gloom.

You are Lord of wind and sea:
-- stretch out your saving hand to those who are drowning in confusion and sin.

You set limits that the water might not pass:
-- protect all those who are overwhelmed by the chaos of lives driven by need.

You water the earth and bring forth food:
--teach us to use the tools devoted to works of death to give and protect live.

No comments: