Wednesday, December 5, 2007

From My Daily Readings


The way of God leads to wisdom, joy, light and life;
the way of evil leads to foolishness, suffering, darkness, and death.
Let me live by God’s law.

God love all his creation with a passionate love.
He created it, not out of any need of his own but from his superabundant goodness.
I as a human am the pinnacle of his creation.
It is my task to love and cherish creation as God does.
I am to imitate his Son and so bring harmony to all he has made.

“One of the most perfectly constructed lines in English poetry is, “To err is human, to forgive, divine.” How perfect is the balance of those words, how rich the sense of them! They enshrine tow of the greatest mysteries which, as Christians, we are bound to accept. The doctrine, I mean, that man, being what he is, can rebel against God; and the doctrine that God, being what he is can forgive man”
-- Monsignor Ronald A. Knox, a British Catholic apologist and translator of the Bible.

Let me look honestly at what burdens me and what frees me.

Let me put into God’s hands my heart, my soul, the deep recesses of my being wherein dwell those beliefs and thoughts that govern my actions, so that he may guide me in the ways of the Gospel.

Let me give thanks and praise for the faithful love and guidance he has given me today, and let me ask for forgiveness where I have failed to follow his ways.

How often do I rediscover the psalmist's insight:
hidden guilt festers;
honest admission of guilt heals.
For words and deeds of impatience and anger -- pardon me.
For words and deeds of selfish grasping -- pardon me.
For words and deeds of unkindness -- pardon me.
For those sins of which I am most ashamed -- pardon me.

When sinful intentions invade the heart,
they take firm hold on the judgment,
and wisdom flies out the window.

When I pray "Thy kingdom come," I committ myself to serve its coming by living in peace and by seeking peace and justice for all who suffer in my home, my workplace, my neighborhood, my world.

"Life passes, riches fly away, popularity is fickle, the senses decay, the world changes, friends die. One alone is constant; One alone is true to us, One alone can be true; One alone can be all things to us; One alone can supply our needs; One alone can train us up to our full perfection; One alone can give a meaning to our complex and intricate nature; One alone can give us tune and harmony; One alone can form and possess us."
-- Venerable John Henry Newman, established the Oratory in Birmingham, England, and was a preacher of great eloquence.

The commandments are summed up in the command to love.
Love is not mere sentiment.
Love requires that I refrain from everything that would harm another and choose to do whatever will serve the other person's true well-being.

No comments: