Thursday, August 30, 2007

Embracing Imperfections

If the best man's faults were written on his forehead,
it would make him pull his hat over his eyes.

--Gaelic proverb

Perfection apparently is not what this life is about at all, since perfection is nonexistent.

When I deal with my faults and imperfections, I am dealing with the basic issues of being a person.
I can become bitter and cynical about the imperfections of others, or I can realize every person is incomplete but growing, just as I am.
The way I look at the faults in others and the way I look at my own are closely tied together.
In my spiritual journey, I must begin with the premise that no person ever achieves perfection.

Since I am not perfect, I have to be accountable.
I must have standards for my behavior and hold myself to those standards, admitting my mistakes and making repairs where I can.

No comments: