Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Having a Heart of Flesh

On the Journey To Having a Heart of Flesh

written by FR. LARRY GILLICK, S.J.

There was a popular song long ago which began, "Hearts made of stone, do-do-wah, do-do-wah, will never break, do-do-wah, do-do-wah."
During ten years of spending time at the L'Arche houses in Toronto, I received many friends.
Then I was missioned here to Omaha.
Ten years of having my heart warmed and inspired had allowed its flesh to feel joy, accompaniment, forgiveness, and literally, encouragement.
I had received a living heart-spirit transplant.
Then I was geographically transplanted to Omaha, in the "heartland" of the United States.

I remember very clearly as my flight left Toronto, with friends standing at the gate to see me off, vowing that I would never again allow my heart to be touched, molded, softened.
My resolution worked quite well for the first year.
Then other people came knocking at my stone-heart.
They kept knocking and chipping and peeping inside.I would rewrite the lyrics of that old song.

I would skip the "do-do-wahs" and sing, "Hearts made of flesh will always heal, hearts made of flesh were made to feel."
Our flesh-hearts have deep memories of losses and hurts as well as of gains and touches.
Jesus came out into the light after the stone of His tomb was rolled away.
His mission since then has been to call us out as He helps to replace the heart of stone with a fleshy place which pumps life and love through the veins of our relationships.
That "never again" promise as I left Toronto has been replaced with a graceful "often" or "always."
My heart is working again thanks to those who help Jesus roll away the stone.
It is definitely a journey.


- FR. LARRY GILLICK, S.J. was ordained in his hometown of Milwaukee, Wisconsin after completing his theological studies at the Toronto School of Theology and Regis College, Willowdale. Canada. It was there he became familiar with the L'Arche-Daybreak Community of Toronto. He is presently the director of the Center for Ignatian Spirituality at Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska.

No comments: