Monday, June 11, 2007

A Thin Stream Of Fear

Worry is a thin stream of fear
trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into
which all other thoughts are drained.
-- Arthur Somers Roche

When a worry nags me, it is like that trickle.
It poses little threat to me and can be stopped at any time because it is so small.
But if I let more worrisome thoughts feed into the stream, I will allow it to grow until all of my thoughts and energy are focused on one worry that has attained great power.
Everyone has things to worry about.
But I don't have to give these worries more than passing acknowledgment.
The trickles that run through my minds are okay to have.
But to keep them at that size, I need to remember what is important to me at this very moment.
I don't need to let the worries grow.
I have worries just like everyone else.
However, I don't have to dwell upon my worries or make them any bigger than what they are.

No comments: