Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Self-Acceptance and Self-Knowledge


God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change
Courage to change the things I can
And wisdom to know the difference.


This well-known prayer expresses some key guidelines to our philosophy of living.
One group member explained it this way:
“For me, the things I cannot change are other people, places, and circumstances. The only things I can change are my attitudes, reactions and action toward the people, places and circumstances in my life.
“The wisdom to know the difference, well, that’s a hard one. I don’t always know what I can and cannot change until I try changing it. Wisdom comes by trial and error. The more experience I have, the more understanding, knowledge, and wisdom I have.”
Today I will accept that much of my wisdom can only come through my daily experiences.
I need to expect to make some mistakes in my attitudes, actions, and judgment of what I can and cannot change.
I will learn to be patient with myself and others as I gain more understanding from my mistakes.


The Reflecting Pond by Liane Cordes

1 comment:

The trials and tribulations of QPR said...

Hi James,

I enjoyed reading this post on self-knowledge. My parents had this very prayer on the mantelpiece in the family home throughout my life. It has always been apart of my life and I just wanted to thank you for the reminder as Self-knowledge is also my subject. I may even write a post on this prayer myself, hm.

All the best,a fellow blogger,

Doug McMillan.