Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Courage Or Insanity

 




So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains 
and we never knew we have the keys.

 

When first viewed this clip I thought how wonderful to be young and insane. 

But the more I thought about it, I came to realize it is more about facing the fears – the fears that paralyze me.

When I was young I thought it took great courage to climb the ladder to the roof of our house to help my Dad with a project – I still think that every time I have to get on the roof. 

With each step of the ladder my fear disappeared.

In my Navy days, it was when I held a camera to shoot a picture, whether on a ship at sea, sitting in the doorway of a helo or hanging over the edge of the Grand Canyon. 

My fears again disappeared as I stepped through them.

Today I fine courage to face life on life’s term.  I still feel the grip of fear on me but like the young man in the video I go for it – one step at a time.

 I have learned on my spiritual journey to trust in God and travel the path before me with gratitude, tolerance and love as my companions. 

I have also learned to let go of the fear and to forgive others as I have been forgive, even when I don’t want to.

I cannot change the direction of the wind but I can adjust my sails.


O Lord, support us all the day long of this troublous life until the shadows lengthen and evening comes, and the busy would is hushed, and the fever of life is over, and our work is done.  Then, in your mercy, grant us a safe lodging and a holy rest and peace at last.  Amen.

-- Venerable John Henry Newman

No comments: